Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Church

What is church? Is it a building? I was taught that the building isn't important, yet I've gone into church buildings that had a holy feel to them. Somehow the building itself seemed very, very 'church' like.

Is church a particular set of rituals and words said in a particular sequence? I know people who don't feel they've been to church without specific things happening.

Is it a group of people who meet together and call themselves a church? Maybe. What does their church consist of?

What makes something church?

As I was reminded yesterday, the Bible says that we are not to "forsake the gathering together". I'm just not clear on what that means. I know that I miss being with others in a "church" but I'm having trouble figuring out what that means to me.

1 comment:

WebLogger said...

I don't think "church" exists in any one thing. It consists of whatever you use to feel connected to your God. Some people need to go to the building, others to use the rituals, and many to be surrounded by like minded people. Some need it all, others need only prayer to feel connected.

I think the most important aspect of "church" is the gathering of peers. We all need to know that we are not alone in our beliefs.

Most of the "battles" fought in "churches" stem from the simple fact that even though all the members have the same core beliefs, many have different attitudes toward the interpretation of minor issues. But because the differences are perceived as going against the belief one has, it presents itself as a major issue.

Christians acting non-Christian toward one another is a common occurance in this instance, driving many to leave the "church", which leads to a feeling of loss. I too am in such a situation. Although I am drawn to the place where I was, most of my peers have also departed. So do I go there and start over? Or do I start over somewhere else? I never have found a "church" that mirrors more than my core belief in Christ. And I don't think I want to just "settle for" anymore.

I'm not sure if I've been any help, I hope so. It is hard to help others find answers when we are searching so hard for our own.